Launch of the Ethical Commitment and a Strengthened Era of Accountability > Current vs Enhanced RYS™ 200 Comparison
Available Soon In:
Current vs Enhanced RYS™ 200 Comparison
Last Updated: February 27, 2020
Yoga Alliance has significantly enhanced the standards underlying the foundational Registered Yoga School (RYS) 200 credential. The changes outlined below substantially increase the baseline for this credential, providing consistency across RYS 200s as well as building confidence in the quality and safety our members deliver to their communities.
As of February 27, 2020, any new aspiring RYS 200 program will apply under the new standards. Current RYS 200 programs must up-level by February 2022.
RYS 200 Comparison. View full size.
The Standards Review Project survey highlighted that 72% of you believed that 200 to 300 hours of training is sufficient to realize proficiency as a foundational yoga teacher. We heard similar feedback via other channels utilized during the SRP and, as a result, made significant enhancements to our RYS 200 standards, bringing them into integrity and building capacity for accountability prior to any further enhancements.
Substantial changes to the RYS 200 standards include the below.
- Embracing an Hours+Competencies model centered around a common core curriculum, moving away from strictly an hours-based model based on Educational Categories
- Requiring 100% of the minimally-required hours to be classroom hours tied directly to the core curriculum and learning objectives
- Allowing for a maximum of 40 classroom hours to be delivered online (shared across the categories of Anatomy & Physiology and Yoga Humanities)
- Creating a common core curriculum across 4 categories and 12 competencies, emphasizing key learning goals and desired outcomes
- Requiring that RYSs assess the knowledge, skills, and experience of their trainees prior to certifying them as 200-hour teachers, something that many RYSs currently do and is “best practice”
- Substantially increasing the requirements of the RYS 200 Lead Trainer
Click here to see a detailed comparison of hours delineated by educational category (current standards) and hours delineated by the common core curriculum (new standards).